Another Eden

A seed, some as large as a coconut, others as small as a mustard seed. They grow into plants much larger than the seeds themselves. A mustard seed doesn't grow into a coconut. It all works out as planned. The most important thing in life is the world that God made us. I don't understand how he made it work, but I'm so glad he did.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Monday, Monday

Well, the weekend is over. I didn't get didley done. I had big plans, got started, got cold, did a little bit, got exhausted, quit. I hate being sick. Not the being sick part so much as the fact that I'm getting old enough for it to take a long time to get my strength back. I did cut down last years clematis and restring the lattice and dig out (some) of the passionflower and restring the arch. You might be asking yourself why I would dig up passionflower. Last year the caterpillars liked the foliage so much I didn't even have any flowers all I had were bare vines. I like feeding the butterfly larva (even though these were just those small orange ones) but I'd rather they feed somewhere a little more out of sight. So this year I'm planting a mixture of annual vines until I decide what I want to replace the passionflower with.

I also planned on getting some other stuff dug out this weekend. The lilac for Jill, the chaste tree for Susan. I've got to get both of them done soon!!! My buds on the almond are turning pink, and this morning there were half a dozen blooms on the plum tree. Stuff is starting to take off without me. I have to hurry and catch up. Speaking of which, is it just me or is this weird weather? We had snow (well, Oklahoma snow which other places call sleet) just a couple of weekends ago and yesterday it was about 80. Next week end we'll probably have another freeze. Nah, it'll wait until everything I have is in bloom, then it'll freeze. I'm having to water all the beds because we're in drought, yes I know, we're only a few inches short of rain for this year. I love the way the weathermen do that. We're only a few inches short for this year, but we ended '05 in negative rainfall and '04 and etc, etc, etc. According to the USDA website, Oklahoma has been in drought emergency for about half the counties for the last four or five years. YAY, the dustbowl is coming back. That was a real fun time in history for those in my profession.

I took Kathy to the dentist this afternoon, yecchhh. I don't know how anybody can be a dentist. I love Kathy, still don't want to spend a couple of hours with my hands in her mouth! Then we went to Target to get her scripts filled. Is it just me or do these places have a racket going? We got in there and the pharmacy was closed fro lunch, so we shopped for about thirty minutes. We turned her scripts in and then shopped for another twenty minutes or so. Two prescriptions and we spent $100, well, ok, slight exaggeration. But we bought more than we would have at the old time pharmacy where it was drugs and a lunch counter. Well, the good thing I got chocolate. It's always a good shopping day when you get chocolate.

Well, my CADD class starts tomorrow night. I was just about to call and get a refund when they called last week and told me it was on. So that's two nights a week that Kathy doesn't have to put up with me. Lucky for her, but think about the fifteen or twenty people that have to be in class with me. Now you don't think it's so funny, huh. Especially if you're one of the twenty (insert maniacal laughter here).

TTFN Wayne

Ps. Susan reminded me that there is information going around about formosan termites in mulch coming out of New Orleans. The info I have been able to get from professors at OSU/OKC is that while there is a problem it is not as big as is being reported. One of the keys is to use a mulch that termites don't like. I use either cedar or (preferred) cypress.

3 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Wayne,

I'm a friend of Susan's, and new to Oklahoma and gardening, so I'm really looking forward to learning from you via the blog.

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan sent us your way so hi! I've always wanted to have lots of plants and flowers. I don't want to actually do the work but I want the plants!! go figure....

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Wayne said...

Hi Emily and Anita--

Hopefully you can learn from my blog and as far as wanting the plants but not the work, I agree! Unfortunately I can't get out of the work part. Wayne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home