Another Eden

A seed, some as large as a coconut, others as small as a mustard seed. They grow into plants much larger than the seeds themselves. A mustard seed doesn't grow into a coconut. It all works out as planned. The most important thing in life is the world that God made us. I don't understand how he made it work, but I'm so glad he did.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Monday Again?

Well, it seems that the weeks keep rolling by. How do you get these things to slow down. I don't want them to stop, but it would be nice to get last weeks stuff done before this week starts.

You know what? Shopping for other people is more expensive than shopping for myself! I had to look for a porch swing for my mother last week, she wants it before Easter, of course. So while I was out trying to find out what was out there, Kathy hunted me down at Lowes. We just happened to stop by the plants to see if they had anything to put in the concrete planter (in the sun, and I forget to water the thing half the time, so it has to be tough). We didn't find anything for the planter, but lo and behold, we found a red-twig dogwood that Kathy has been wanting forever, and a pink pussywillow. So we hauled those home and I was finding places to put them on Saturday morning. It is a good thing I hate grass. Our yard in miniscule, but our flower beds take up a lot of room. Ok, so far this year we have planted two black lace elderberries and a red-twig and a pussywillow and my friend brought over some datura (can't waste free plants!) so I had to find a place for those, and for Father's day last year my daughter gave me a bunch of seeds from Hawaii (thank goodness my kids have figured out I don't wear ties, now if I could just get my mother to admit it) so I have to put those in pots before it gets too much later. And when Kathy and I went to Sam's yesterday, we picked up a box of 60 caladiums. Where the heck am I going to put 60 caladiums? There isn't that much shade in the entire state of Oklahoma! Oh, well, I'll figure out something.

Shelly reminded me that plants are not the only unfriendly aliens that we have imported to the States. Think med fly, fire ants, that carp that is eating everything in the Great Lakes, and who could forget killer bees! I do tend to get tunnel vision on plants. Occupational hazard. But let's face it, we tend to act without thinking of all the ramifications. I don't have any advice on the regular screw-ups in your lives, the Lord knows I've made too many myself to try to figure out anybody else's, but as far as plants are concerned, do a little bit of research before you plant something that is going to bite you.

My oldest daughter came up from Ft.Worth so Kathy could help her with her taxes. She got here about eleven and left about eleven Saturday night. Of course she left right after our power got knocked out. Why is it my children always desert me when the lights are out? Good thing I'm not afraid of the dark any more.

Yes, when the storm came through Saturday night we were one of those houses without power. It was out for about 6 hours. Of course, we still managed to get up in time for church, time change and all. But then when I asked Kathy where she wanted to go she told me the zoo. Naturally while she was taking a shower, I put on shorts and was rarin' to go. Then she couldn't figure out why I was in shorts because she was just funnin'. Needless to say, I still haven't gotten to go to the zoo. Anyway, we went to Our Lord's again. We really like the pastor there. He looks at things just slightly skewed. For instance, his text was the first chapter of John's gospel on Sunday, and he mentioned that the LDS and JWs added an "a" in the verse about Jesus being God. I knew that the a had been added but never really thought about why John left out any explanations to that statement. We are still hunting for where God wants us to be, but I think Our Lord's in definitely in the running. We saw Susan and Jim leaving the church and tried to catch up with them, man, Susan can really move when it's time for lunch! Anyway, we finally caught up with them in the parking lot (of course, Kathy had to stand in the roadway and flag them down, if it had been me standing in the roadway, Susan would have been yelling "faster, faster", but I don't think Jim would have run me down) and were able to have lunch with them and spend a little time talking. Susan is looking a lot better and Jim is much more relaxed. You can check Susan's blog for an update on her health. I can tell you, she looks great, except for still a slight resemblance to Chip and Dale.

Well, I'm going to close this thing out for now and try to figure out what the heck to do with all those caladiums. Be good to yourself today, give your inner child a cookie, and if you have any to spare, give my inner child one too.

God bless,
Wayne

1 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Wayne, I really enjoy your blog and it never leaves me without at least one good laugh! : ) It always makes me smile.

Your daughter is beautiful and can you really blame her for leaving when the electricity went off? : )

I don't think Susan would really run you down, although she might give you nudge if you needed it. I'm thrilled that she's doing so well now, too!

What color are the caladiums?

I'm so glad you are enjoying visiting the current church. Finding a good church home that fits is not always easy. I hope you find the right place and that the fit is perfect.

Shelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home